Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I walk alone
I walk alone.
Have I chosen to do so
willingly?
Have I created my own destiny?
Have I led myself into this..?

My boulevard
looks like high-school.
The streets are endless
and crowded
with people who don't care
if they shove you into a locker
as they walk by in a hurry.
I walk alone,
I walk alone.
The lights are slightly dim
Most of the walls are painted green.
I hate green.
The language on my boulevard
consists of three types:
Gossip
Bad jokes
And swearing
or even
a combination of the three.
My boulevard of Broken Dreams
is somewhere
where I do not fit.
It's somewhere
where I do not feel
comfortable
unless I find a room
with a teacher
who cares
about
me.
It's funny
that I call it
MY boulevard.
Because I think
if it were mine,
i'd be able to change it.
I'd be able to mold it
into something beautiful.
But, high-school is high-school.
I cannot make it better.
No one can, really.
My boulevard seems endless.
My boulevard is a place that
I
cannot
change.
And the worse part is,
I can't change the fact
that I walk alone,
I walk alone.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked the way this was set up. Always starting on the right margin with short deliberate structure. I might have to steal the idea and make it my own... if fact i mean to. (ha! lord of the rings reference!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually written about 60 poems in this format. I really love it, and it helps me express myself better haha. I actually stole it from the author Sharon Creech. If you ever get the chance to read Heartbeat by her, it will be the best decision you ever made. The whole book is set up like this, so it takes like 30 minutes to read haha... Anyways, thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. A lot of people take a prompt like this and fail to make it personal. You definitely made it personal. You wrote about YOUR boulevard (though you argue it can't be yours). Well done. I love that walls are painted green and you hate green. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you make it personal. I really like that at first, if you choose to go down here. It's the idea that we like to be alone and feel like we don't need anyone. But that attitude gives us this boulevard. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that I am a comforting stop on your boulevard and know that I love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete